Our school day begins at 8:30 am every day, with outdoor supervision beginning at 8:15. Please be sure to have your child/children here on time. Students who are consistently tardy are at a clear disadvantage and usually arrive feeling unprepared. All students who arrive after 8:30 am must sign in at the office with a parent. If your child is sick please report the absence by 8:00 am by calling the school safe arrival line at (608)204-4522. If you drop your child off by car, please remember not to drop off in front of the school where it is marked no stopping, standing or parking. When there is too much traffic it presents a danger to children, parents and other drivers.
Dates to Remember:
|New Student Registration||Wednesday, August 21st||8:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Returning Students Registration||Friday, August 23rd||11:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|BackPack and Snack Event for 4K and 5K students||Friday, August 30th||3:00 – 3:45 PM|
|1st day of School
|Tuesday, September 3rd||8:30 AM – 1:45 PM**|
|2nd day of School
|Wednesday, September 4th||8:30 AM – 1:45 PM**|
|1st day of Morning classes for 4k and Early Childhood Students
**No Afternoon Classes**
|Wednesday, September 4th||8:15 – 11:19 AM|
|1st day of Afternoon classes for 4k and Early
|Thursday, September 5th||12:07 – 3:17 PM|
|Open House / GEPTO Meeting||Tuesday, September 17th||5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Pizza Dinner @ 5:00
GEPTO @ 6:00
Open House @ 7:00
|Picture Day||Friday, September 27
Makeup day: Thursday, November 7
Every Monday is early release for elementary students in MMSD so that teachers can have time for professional development and planning for instruction. As such, we will dismiss at 1:45 each Monday. Tuesday through Friday we dismiss at 3:17. During registration, you will indicate how your child gets home each day (bus, walk, pick-up, after-school care, etc.). Any variance from this plan MUST be communicated directly to the teacher or school secretary by a parent/guardian. For the safety of your child, we will not allow for changes without direct notification from you.
School supply lists have been posted on the school website. There are also printed lists at local Target and Wal-Mart stores.
Because it is so important that teachers and parents work together in making a child’s school year a happy and successful one, it is hoped that you will be able to spend some time during the school year helping in the classroom or at home. Please discuss with your child’s teacher, ways that will work within your schedule. Home/School partnership is the reason Gompers continues to excel academically.
Gompers Elementary Parent Teacher Organization (GEPTO):
We strongly encourage all of our families to join our Parent Teacher Organization, led by our GEPTO Co-Presidents, Dawn Henkel and Renae Huffman. Our first meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 17th at 5:00 pm. This meeting will be paired with our annual Open House event. GEPTO meetings will be held bi-monthly on the second or third Tuesday, depending on the month. Please refer to your Gompers calendar for specific dates, times, and events. We are eager to see all of you again.
Fundraising is paramount to the success of Gompers and we hope you will help support our programs and events in the fall and all throughout the year. When a fundraising event surfaces please consider supporting it through donations or time as it helps support our number one priority--your children.
Continued Changes in Lunch Procedures:
Madison Metropolitan School District Food & Nutrition Department and REAP Food Group will be continuing to offer new fresh fruit and vegetable bars for elementary school children. Last year, we found the variety of featured items on the “garden bar” such as fresh grape tomatoes, pepper strips, cauliflower, sliced apples, etc. to be a huge success with our students. Gompers students will continue to enjoy the use of our garden bar when they opt for hot lunch at school.
Nurse GeriAnn Strigel will be present at Gompers (although ‘housed’ in Blackhawk Middle) every day except Wednesday afternoons. Ms. Sue Fatupaito, our nursing assistant, will be present daily. They can be reached at (608) 204-4383. Please note that students are advised not to bring snacks that contain peanuts because a number of students have peanut allergies. More specific information on restrictions due to allergies will be sent home via backpack mail this fall.
Changes in district policy will limit the amount of advertisements coming home via backpack mail. All MMSD and Gompers information will continue to be sent home, however all other papers will now be housed in our school, on a display across from the Gompers office. Help yourself to any flier you see posted!
Please keep in mind that MMSD has opted to eliminate multi-age classrooms in grades K-3 for this school year to support the implementation of Mondo literacy curriculum and the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). We have also elected to move to straight grades in 4th and 5th grade to reduce class size from 26-28 students per class to 18-20 students and also support the implementation of the new CCSS.
- 4K Team: Mrs. Mandy Hollar* & Ms. Angie Lalley*
- Kindergarten Team: Ms. Ann Shedesky*, Ms. Robbi Webb*, Ms. Laura Hoffman
- First Grade Team: Ms. Toni Vidulich*, Ms. Jacqui Lazzaroni*, Ms. Katie DiPiazza*
- Second Grade Team: Ms. Kendra Shillinglaw, Ms. Jazz Essman, Ms. Katie O’Duffy
- Third Grade Team: Ms. Liz VanderWoude*, Ms. Rachel Knoll, Ms. Rosie Fischer*
- Fourth Grade Team: Ms. Maixia Thao*, Ms. Julia Jero
- Fifth Grade Team: Ms. Stacie MacWilliams*, Mr. Rick Bush
- Bilingual Team: Ms. Marta Torres-Mercado*, Mr. Teddy Marino, Mr. Lue Herr, Ms. Clare Norrell, additional position unfilled
- Special Education Team: Ms. Jen McDowell*, Ms. Bobbi Simpson*, Ms. Tracy Clark*, Ms. Nancy Gill*, Ms. Patty Kastner*, Ms. Brenda Jordan*
- Specials Team: Ms. Leslie Mueller*-PE, Ms. Julie Verban*-Music, Mr. Sebastian Vang*-Art, Mr. Ryan Evanson*-Art, Ms. Emily Gritt-Art, Ms. Jody Retzer-Crolla*-LMS and REACH, PE position unfilled
- Student Services Team: Ms. Anne Schoenemann*-IRT, Ms. Anne Jungwirth*-social worker, Ms. Natalie Syty-psychologist, Mr. Dave Payne*-speech & language, Ms. Gina Tortorice*-reading recovery and interventionist, Eri Larson*-school-based program support teacher, Tina Brown*-behavior education assistant, Peggy Moore*-talented and gifted
* Denotes Returning Teaching Staff Members
Farewell to Retirees:
Ann Feeney - Special Education Asst. and Nancy Tollefson - Grade 2.
We are so grateful for the trails that they have blazed and wish them well in their retirements.
Well wishes to staff in new teaching positions in / out of MMSD:
- Karen Palmstein has opted to teach 2nd grade at Glendale.
- Jessica Miller has left to work with 7th grade at Cherokee Middle School.
- Amanda Postel has left to work at Stephens Elementary.
- Charlotte Cummins has left to teach art full time at Chávez Elementary.
- Jenny Jacoby and Karen Hogg have decided to move back home, out of state. We wish them well in their new journeys.
- Dawn Daly has decided to take a year of leave. We wish her and her family the best, and await her return next school year.
All of the above mentioned staff members will always be part of the Gompers family. We wish them well and hope they visit to share their new experiences.
Please see our new parent resource-- ABC for Gompers Parents for further information. It includes information about our school mascot, school affirmation, breakfast times, gym, art, music, etc...